Monday, May 7, 2018

This week I have been mostly... wb 30/4/18

Week beginning: 30/04/18

No. of evening meetings: 2
Films watched: 1
Healthy eating: Average
Mental health: Could be better

A fairly uneventful week this week. I spent work either editing or filming (which admittedly is what I usually do), although interestingly my work took me to the place of my old comprehensive school. I've been through the town a few times recently and it's always a bit of a shock to see how things have changed since I was a teen. The most significant change is the demolishing of one of the blocks where my form room used to be, and the building of an Asda supermarket right on top of the school playing fields. They've constructed a completely new school complex which looks like something from the future (which it kinda is ... well, would have been to a kid in the 90s).

Returning to the place of my adolescent youth stirs up many emotions for me. It was a formative time in many ways and not without its drama and angst. I fell in love (but hideously crashed and burned), had my first brush with alcohol (the first of many), faced up to bullies (and lost) as well as made decisions that would ultimately affect me for the rest of my life (I'm not kidding).

Visiting my old stomping ground saddens me a bit. Everything feels just as tired and rundown as it used to be. I suppose I didn't have any frame of reference at the time but even when I was there it felt a bit sad. Some of the old shops are still there, while others have been taken over by the familiar chains such as Greggs. There were a fair share of empty shop units (thanks austerity/Brexit!).

Even so, I still have a fondness and affinity for the place. It featured in a large chunk of my life and I can't change that. I hope things eventually pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment