Sunday, May 13, 2018

This week I have been mostly... wb 07/05/18

Week beginning: 07/05/18

No. of evening meetings: 2
Films watched: 1
Healthy eating: Good
Mental health: Could be better

This week has started with a renewed health drive as Wifey has started Slimming World and so we've been basing our meals around that. I have to give SW some credit, in that they are not about 'diets' as such but more about healthy eating and eating foods that will fill you up rather than make you starve most of the time. I'm a bit dubious about the food that they market, as it's probably not any healthier than the other 'health food' junk you can buy. You pay a premium for the branding in return for some kind of peace of mind. Even so, you don't have to buy their products and the emphasis on eating fruit and veg can't be argued with. There's also the social motivation aspect which I think helps. Again, SW makes money out of this - but peer support is probably a huge factor in the fight against obesity so it can't be knocked.

Wifey has lost some weight already, which I'm really proud of her for, and I find it's easier to join in rather than watch from the sidelines so hopefully I will lose some too. I've been trying to get healthier and thinner with limited success, but I figure trying is better than not trying. I'm also probably being a bit hard on myself. I don't think I'm obese (I'm probably a bit overweight but not by much), and I don't eat that much crap. Occasionally I will give in to a bit of cake or chocolate but I've never been one to eat junk every day. I've also gotten into the habit of eating lots more fruit and veg (more than the standard 5-a-day), partly to fill up but also partly to try and fend off any future nasties i.e. cancer. My problem is that I want to flatten my belly a bit more and, well, being a forty-something is going to make that especially hard. If I was really fat, I'd probably lose quite a lot of weight quite quickly, but I think it's the latter stages of weight loss which are exponentially more difficult.

I could go to the gym, but I don't really have the time and space to commit to that (nor the financial resources) and anyway I really hate exercising. I do a bit at home (weights and stretches) as well as brisk walking but doing a full on workout is something I just don't have the inclination to do.

I struggle with motivation if I'm honest, but at least Wifey is doing something as well so we can support each other. Also, we've got a trip to France coming up in August so I really want to be as fit and healthy as possible for when we go.

Because then I can blow out on bread, croissants, chocolate, cheese and wine!

Viva Vacances!

No comments:

Post a Comment