Wednesday, May 16, 2018

The terrifying reality of middle-age

I'm not one who particularly enjoys the fact that I'm middle-aged. Passing the '40' mark three years ago was a bit of an existential crisis for me and every now and again I stop and pause to reflect on the reality that I'm old. Like, really old.

Of course, it's all relative. My parents are much older than me. In fact, there are millions of people out there who are older or would consider me a bit of 'spring chicken' – even though I definitely do not feel like one – and I have even outlasted a quite a few of my fellow human beings so far. I know I have absolutely nothing to complain about.

One thing, however, that has struck me recently is that my generation is in the middle of taking over from the previous one.

This has become noticeable at church. I'm not sure if church is the best reflection of wider society in general, but it's interesting nonetheless. Wifey and I became church leaders last year (she an Elder and me a Deacon). Two of my friends are also elders – and they are younger than me. Ulp! Often, there will be preachers at church who are either younger or roughly the same age as me.

It used to be that I would sit in the congregation and look up to the Elders and Deacons – wisened leaders who were trying hard to discern God's will for the church and to ensure it functioned smoothly. They were the ones with all sorts of important responsibilities, making difficult decisions in order to keep this weird thing called church going.

Now, I realise I have become one of them – one of those supposedly 'wise' leaders who youngsters of today might look to for guidance and counsel. My generation is gradually becoming the one 'in charge' now, as it were.

And that is scary as heck.

Whilst it's nice to be all 'grown up' and responsible, it also feels like I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time and am constantly 'winging it' to get through the various challenges of life.

What is comforting though, is the fact that most people are likely doing the same. No matter how old or experienced you are, I think it's something of a universal truth to say that a lot of the time you're making things up or just hoping it will all work out in the end.

I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where politicians, business leaders and other such 'lofty' people will own up to this truth and admit that they don't have all the answers and rely on a 50/50 chance of getting things right most of the time.

If they did, I think the world would be much better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment