Monday, July 16, 2018

Universal Basic Income, anyone?

What have I been up to lately?

Well, life and work have been a bit overwhelming and trying to keep on top of this blog has proven exhausting.

Thankfully, I have finally come up for some air and managed to think about my blog again. I've just about managed to keep on top of my film reviews (almost at the 50 mark so far this year!), but not much else. I hope to try and revive my weekly updates as well as any other tidbits of news (not that I ever have much news to write about).

One thing I have been working on, however, is a new Twitter account devoted entirely to the concept of Universal Basic Income (UBI). It took me a long time to bring myself to doing it, mainly because of the fear of committing to another new project (I have too many things going on as it is), but I must say this is a subject I am really passionate about.

I have written about UBI before but not in great detail, but it is an idea which has been going around my head for years. The first time I came across it was when I read a book called 'The Play Ethic' by Pat Kane which talks about a 'social wage' - money paid to citizens without any strings attached, to fight povery and enable people to live contented, fulfilled lives . If you're unfamiliar with UBI, I strongly recommend you look it up. I won't go into detail here (not right now, at least), but do please follow my Twitter account, which is a local UBI account for the Cardiff region.

Here's the link: https://twitter.com/CardiffUbi

I've not got many followers, but it's been gradually going up since it started so hopefully I can build a decent audience. I'm not expecting to set the world on fire, but at least it feels like I'm doing my bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment