Monday, January 17, 2011

The Greatest Disappointment In Cinematic History

Did you realise that all three Star Wars prequel films are complete rubbish and merely a cynical attempt at milking as much money as possible out of a much-loved and respected franchise?

I didn't ... until I saw Red Letter Media's scathing, but very accurate, analysis of the films (see below). NB: Contains swearing and weird, unnecessary references to kidnapping ... you kinda have to skip over those bits.

Painful though it is to admit ... we were all duped.

I remember as a young adult coming out of the cinema after seeing The Phantom Menace and feeling confused. I think that, deep down, I knew I'd just seen a pile of crap - but because it was, y'know, Star Wars - well, it couldn't be true. I wanted to like Phantom so much that I wouldn't accept that it was a pile of turd.

What is embarrassing is that, being a film and media student, I should have spotted the glaring errors, plot holes, character inconsistencies and failure to follow normal film grammar.


I have every intention of sitting down with JKY one day and watching Episodes 4, 5 and 6 with him. I look forward to that, cos I think he'll really enjoy them. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to letting him watch the first three, though.

I suppose I could just point out every flaw and plot-hole along the way.

I'm sure he'd enjoy that....

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about Phantom Menace. I was so excited, and then remember feeling cheated.

    The other two prequels I judged as any other film and came to the conclusion that they were just poor.

    Now when people ask me my opinion of the prequels, I say "I don't regard them as canonical."

    ReplyDelete