Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Who needs TV anyway?

I have decided to give up television for lent, which is ironic seeing as I am trying to make a career in the media (which just made me think: I hope that one day, far in the future when I'm some bigshot media mogul, someone doesn't dig this up and shame me in the Daily Sport as some kind of TV-hating puritan.). What is even more ironic is that last night - before I had fully committed to the notion of denying myself episodes of Peep Show, QI and Doctor Who - I turned on the telly and it just went 'fzzzrkkkkk' and died.


I think God is trying to tell me something.

So why am I doing this? Well, I've kinda done that whole giving up chocolate / booze / cigarettes thing. It's time to move on and really show the big man upstairs what's important. TV can easily be a substitute for spending time with God and I am guilty of it as much as the next guy. Hopefully, the next 40 days (eek! 40 days without telly?!?!) will help me to reflect on how I structure my life and free my mind a bit from the constant post-modern brain-slop that permeates the schedules. 

One condition me and Wifey agreed on, though, was that we were allowed to watch films on our TV.

Films are OK - they're, you know...cultural and stuff.

2 comments:

  1. wow I never thought of giving up the telly. I did think of giving up Facebook but i mean COME ON I might just... die if I did that.

    So I've gone for the chocolate.

    Traditional - yes, typical - yes, pain in the arse - definitely.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - giving up FB is like giving up blood circulation. Nice idea, but deadly!

    ReplyDelete