Monday, February 9, 2009

Attenborough-bashing


I am dismayed at how Sir David Attenborough has been treated by so-called Christians. In recent interviews he has told of the regular hate-mail he gets from them, telling him how much he's going to hell, and that his attitude toward creationism will earn him special time in the 'ironic punishment department' that satan has set aside for him (where he is forced to categorise every living creature that ever existed using only a blunt pencil and a scrap of the Sun newspaper). OK, I made that last bit up, but you get what I mean...

Anyway, it's somewhat embarrassing. As a Christian, I consider my faith to be centered around such concepts as love, mutual respect, tolerance, forgiveness and humility. I wouldn't dream of attacking someone in that way. I'd like to think that most of my fellow believers wouldn't either. But, as always, all it takes is for one or two fruitcakes to do something stupid and we're all lumped together by people who don't understand that every belief has it's nutters.

Why do they hate Sir David so much? And why do they think telling him that he's pure evil will make him change his mind. 'If I don't attribute creation to God, I'm going to hell, you say? Oh, alright then. If you put it like that, I must be wrong. Point me in the direction of the nearest church - now!!'

As followers of Christ, I think it's right that we uphold our views - but not by alienating and insulting those that don't agree. By all means, we should engage with non-believers. Talk to them, listen to them, show them respect and kindness. And even when they scream at the top of their voices 'THERE IS NO GOD!' we should let them do so -it is a free country, after all. Besides, God can handle it. He's way bigger than any of us.

Anyway, I'm going to continue to pray for those unbelievers - the Atheists, the Anti-Religious, the God-hating scientists ... they need to know God's love just as much as anyone. 


Read more about how we as Christians should respond to the likes of Sir David here.

No comments:

Post a Comment