Sunday, January 27, 2019

This week I have been mostly... wb 21/01/19

Week beginning 21/01/19

No. of evening meetings: 1
Films watched: 2
Healthy eating: Very Good (except for the weekend!)
Mental health: Good

This is my first diary entry of 2019 after a bit of a blog hiatus.

This week I have been mostly obsessing over kitchens, trying to think positive and mulling over work challenges.

We are in the process of getting a new kitchen. Our current one is literally falling apart and came with the house when we bought it ten years ago. I dread to think when it was actually installed.

Our loverly cupboards ... note the wrecked flooring too
Having been to a couple of kitchen vendors (I won't name names), I am astonished at the list price of a bunch of wooden panels cobbled together with screws and glue. Buying one without any discount will easily set you back tens of thousands of pounds, and yet when you haggle (which is never challenged) the quote is a fraction of that. There is something morally questionable about that, I feel. Thanks capitalism...!

I have started a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy course and it has been going well. The stuff we've looked at so far seems to centre around managing your thoughts and trying not to let your mind wander into a spiral of negativity. All good stuff, but not necessarily easy peasy in practice, especially when you start reading the news (yikes!). Still, I feel like just the act of going to a group sepcifically to help me wrestle with my low-level depression has helped enormously.

Work continues to be a challenge – not in the work itself but more the continual worry about where the next job is coming from. Last autumn I was pretty much out of work for two months and that meant we took a huge hit financially. Things have picked up since, but I really need to find a more secure extra stream of income to help us when things do slow down.

I am trying to write more short stories at the moment and will be posted them here in this blog – watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment