Monday, April 2, 2012

There's always a way...

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.
- Jim Rohn, rags-to-riches entrepreneur

Since starting my own business over three years ago I have had some incredibly hairy moments, usually centred round getting a project to a client in time for a deadline. So far, I have always delivered. It may have been close to the bone - but despite whatever challenges or obstacles thrown my way, each and every time I have given the client what they needed when they needed it (eventually).

Many times I have found myself in the editing suite despairing for a lack of 'cutaways' or 'b-roll' footage. Sometimes this can make or break a video. Every time, me and my colleague have managed to find a way to make it work. It's amazing what you can pull out of the bag when all you've got is a steaming turd of a video and zero extra footage to work with.

When you look back over history, there have been numerous problems facing us puny humans. They might have taken decades or centuries to solve, but we did it eventually. Everything from power to travel to medicine to construction, somehow we were able to overcome whatever obstacles were in the way and nudge our species just that tiny bit closer to utopia.

The lesson here, kids is: There's always a way.

There's always a way to fix it, to do it right, to do again, to do it so it works.

Often I have been faced with a practical problem that confounds me and begins to get me all riled up. Sometimes it's just silly stuff like when I'm trying to fix my bike or if my computer starts to go weird. It has dawned on me, however, that with a little patience and 'standing back' time I am able to come up with a solution.

Of course, we are sometimes faced with a situation that simply cannot be changed or improved on. The death of a loved one, for example, or when our favourite football team loses stupendously in a cup final.

But in most, normal everyday situations, I think it's wise to never give in and trust that something can be done to fix a problem. In my experience, there's always a way.

If only politicians, businessmen and other leaders had that little sentence in the back of their minds. It might just mean things got a bit better for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment