Thursday, July 19, 2018

Down with this sort of thing! A very British protest

Last week I managed to go along to the Tr*mp protest march. I've witnessed one or two protest marches before but this was the first one I've ever actully participated in, although I must admit I was slightly on the sidelines taking photos. But - I did shout 'down with Tr*mp' a few times in a typically British introverted manner - yay me!

Here are some photos and video of the event:

©2018 Justin Chaloner
©2018 Justin Chaloner
©2018 Justin Chaloner
©2018 Justin Chaloner
©2018 Justin Chaloner
©2018 Justin Chaloner
©2018 Justin Chaloner
©2018 Justin Chaloner
©2018 Justin Chaloner
©2018 Justin Chaloner
©2018 Justin Chaloner

It was quite a bemusing experience. There were speeches from lots of random people (which at the start were really difficult to hear due to lack of PA so made the whole thing a bit boring), and plenty of weird and wonderful human beings joining in the fun (as well as some norms like me). It was nothing like the protests in London the day after, but seeing as Cardiff is relatively small I think it was a decent turnout (apparently there was also a protest going on in Cardiff Bay by the Senedd at the same time).

I think it's a good thing to do, although whether it will succeed at effecting change is, I think, hard to prove. At least it shows people care about something, and lets those in power see the plebs aren't totally inert (and I include myself as one of those plebs).

The problem with Drumpf is that he has his own reality distortion field which means he sees 250,000 people screaming how much they hate him and claims there were many people protesting 'in his favour'. His particular brand of narcissitic personality disorder is kind of worrying seeing as he's the world's most powerful leader. As Scott Santens on Twitter points out:
Whether or not people can come together to agree on ignoring 45 is debatable (OK, well, pretty much impossible), but it would be an interesting experiment. Unfortunately, because of who Drumpf is, he can't really be ignored. He's the president of the United States, after all. If everyone ignored him and let him be, who knows what he'd get up to.

And that, sadly, may be why we are all doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment